When the 4-hour workweek becomes 40

     One hundred and seven years ago, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto put forth the idea of the 80/20 principle. In his time, this principle was applied to land ownership and even pea pods. Infamous time hacker, best selling author of The 4-Hour Workweek and life guru, Tim Ferriss, has applied Pareto’s 80/20 principle to productivity, efforts and time wasters. According to Ferriss, 80 percent of your productivity comes from 20 percent of your efforts. Does this mean that one is not truly productive 80 percent of the time? Not entirely, but it does mean that a manager must survey his team to determine what part, if any, the 80/20 principle is applicable to organizational and team successes. It would be great if all organizations could achieve their vision in just 4 hours a week, but most require a traditional 40-hour workweek and the requisite environment that goes with it. 

     Highly functioning organizations can harness the best efforts and productivity of the team by stoking the embers of the already high-functioning 20 percent. This requires leadership of the transformational variety, a clear vision of the end result by all team members and the best abilities of the manager to implement it without completing ignoring the other 80 percent.  With very few exceptions, any successful 21st Century organization requires a “brain” type atmosphere and mentality. A brain type atmosphere should not be confused with groupthink. When best applied, a brain type atmosphere is the fostering, nurturing, and development of ideas among talented, dedicated employees, and is paramount to the survivability and success of any team and organization. 

     In keeping with the 80/20 principle, 20 percent of an organization must be led and the other 80 percent must be managed to ensure any kind of organizational success. Twenty percent of the team can also take up 80 percent of the manager’s time in a negative way. Properly applied leadership can negate these negative effects and enhance the productivity of the many without regard to the issues of a select few. As one of our nation’s finest leaders, Colin Powell, advised, never be afraid to fire those who are not a good organizational fit or are detrimental in nature.

     How does a modern-day manager and leader in training manage the possible benefits of 107-year-old theories and life experts like Tim Ferriss?  Regular self-assessment of your managerial and leadership styles, successes, and failures, serve as a viable means of accountability and measurement. The best that any leader can hope for is to have made a difference in the lives of those who work for them. The greatest success for any leader is to have inspired one of their subordinates to become a better leader than them and continue the mentoring relationship. As with anything in life, leadership is a work in progress with many victories and lessons-learned.

     Make everyday as a manager and leader an opportunity to add chapters to your own best-selling, life changing, 4 or 40-hour workweek. I’m sure Tim Ferriss would welcome the competition and company. 


About jeffclapperproject

I am a proud veteran and I come from a family of proud veterans. I’ve served with some of the best people on this planet and have been fortunate enough to lead a few of them in peacetime and war. Much like a very select few, I’ve truly seen the absolute best and worst of humanity. I am a communicator, a broadcast journalist, videographer and public relations professional by trade, a father, husband and proud American by choice. I’ve done okay by my professions over the last 20 years, won a few awards and made some great products, but my real passion is leading, mentoring and educating people. It’s an awesome responsibility and challenge to be charged with building successful teams, molding talent and motivating people to become part of something greater than them. But I love it. I truly enjoy it--the good, the bad, and a chance to see someone you’ve led and mentored succeed. I was taught very early on in my military career to take care of your people, equip them to flourish, mentor and train them to ultimately replace you. I was also taught by a series of awesome mentors that there is a distinct difference between a manager and a leader. Both are necessary, but only one develops a person for the future. I’ve learned a thing or two over the past two decades, and having built, led, trained and mentored teams of two to 650 people, I feel qualified enough to offer advice, commentary and counsel on leadership, team building and the ability to grow people as individuals and professionals. I hope you will benefit from and enjoy what I have to share. Cheers, Jeff Clapper
This entry was posted in The Good Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to When the 4-hour workweek becomes 40

  1. cranstonholden says:

    good post. I just spoke about the 80/20 in my last post called “Where a leader should spend their time” Check it out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s